It’s a good idea to have a physical therapist at home by paraffin
·4 lb (1.8 kg) of paraffin wax.
- 1 cup of mineral oil You may be able to find some mineral oil that has a pleasant scent .
- Equipment for melting the wax. You can use a paraffin bath, available from a medical supply store, or a crockpot or double boiler. If you use a crockpot, a small one works fine for your hands. You’ll need a large one if you want to do your feet.
- A candy thermometer (if you’re using a crockpot or double boiler). If you get a paraffin bath from a medical supply store, it should have a thermometer.
- Plastic wrap or bags.
- Cloth towel.
- Rubber bands or tape.
- Melt the wax (use low heat). Stir often to speed up the melting.
- Stir in the mineral oil.
- Turn off the heat, and allow the wax to cool until it has a thin film on the top.
- Use the thermometer to check the temperature of the wax. It should read about 125°f (51.7°c) when you begin your treatment.
- Before you begin, use warm, soapy water to wash the hand or foot you are going to treat. This will keep the paraffin clean so you can use it again for future treatments. Dry your hand or foot completely.
- Relax your hand or foot, and dip it into the paraffin, being very careful not to touch the sides or bottom of the pot. Allow the wax to come to just above the wrist or ankle. If you are unsteady, it helps to have another person guide your hand or foot in and out of the paraffin.
- Lift your hand or foot out, but hold it over the paraffin. Allow it to dry a few seconds until it stops dripping.
- Repeat this process 10 to 12 times. Each time you dip in, stop just below the previous line of wax on your skin. This will keep warm wax from getting in under the wax that is already on your skin and will prevent burning.
- Wrap your hand or foot in plastic wrap or slide it into a plastic bag.
- Next, wrap a towel around your hand or foot and hold it in place with rubber bands or tape.
- Leave the paraffin on for 20 minutes. Then unwrap your hand or foot and slide the paraffin from your hand or foot back into the pot. The wax can be melted and used again.
- Cover the paraffin, and save it for next time.